Monday, January 18, 2010

No School + Rain + Deprived Husband = Baking Fiend


Ina Garten's Sour Cream Coffee Cake


Paige's Pioneer Bread


Happy Martin Luther King Day! Being a school teacher during this holiday really pays off. No school for me today :). I had school every day last week except for Wednesday (Saturday from 9-5) so I have been going through baking withdrawals. It even came to the point where Dustin and I actually finished two loaves of store bought bread before I even got to making any. That is sad for me. Anyway, I woke up this morning to it raining cats and dogs! I have been in California for about 3 years now and have never seen it rain like this. What better a day to stay in and bake! I made some yummy 12-grain bread which I now call Paige's Pioneer Bread since she always asked me to make it for her and I never did... sigh. Sorry Paige. Maybe I will send you some to warm your heart while you are in Idaho freezing to death.


A few weeks ago I had made Cinnamon Rolls for Dustin to take to his class (he is also going to school). His professor had not been able to make it that day and told Dustin he was bummed that he did not get cinnamon rolls. Unfortunately I did not have the time left before Dustin had to go to class to make cinnamon rolls but decided to bust out a coffee cake, one I have been wanted to try for some time.

The Barefoot Contessa's Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Ingredients
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups sour cream
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

For the streusel:

  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

For the glaze:

  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons real maple syrup

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.


Well it turned out perfect! The only thing I changed was the glaze because I didn't have any maple syrup. I used powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract but I'll bet Ina's is fabulous.


So, I have finally decided I should stop and get on with my day. I have so much homework to do it is frightening. My vacation has ended and now this is what I have to deal with...


This is the moment I REALLY miss my dishwasher (Dustin) oh and my other dishwasher too. Now it is just me and my scrub brush. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment