Monday, April 6, 2009

Back in the Game... with peanut butter and honey cupcakes

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I have really missed doing this. Since I have started Deedle Dumpling I have been baking up a storm, experimenting, playing etc. I think it is time that I depend on you guys to give me some feed back on my concoctions! :) As soon as I do find some winners I will post them on my new and upcoming website deedledumplingbakery.com.

Yesterday Dustin and I had some friends over for dinner. Dustin made us one of his famous Polish dishes while I went ahead and did my regular assignments, bread and dessert. I made a whole wheat french bread loaf but I could not decide what I should make for dessert. I figured since I have a few guinea pigs coming over that I would take advantage of their taste buds. :) So I tried something that I have always wanted to try, peanut butter and honey cupcakes.

I am a honey FREAK as many of you know. I have been called Winnie the Pooh for pretty much my entire life. Any time I eat honey I seem to have it all over myself and you would be amazed at the amount I am able to consume and put on a piece of bread.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches are one of God's gifts to man in my eyes. I have never heard of a peanut butter and honey cupcake so I decided to try it out.



I kind of threw together my own peanut butter cupcake recipe and it was ok, but not fabulous, in my opinion. It was not peanut buttery enough and I really wanted a cake to be very light and kind of melt in your mouthish (I don't think that is a word). The frosting, however, was rather interesting. I tried a honey buttercream at first but it really didn't end up having the honey flavor that I wanted. I wanted the frosting to taste like honey only. So I whipped up some egg whites and added a 1/2 cup of boiling honey to it. And since egg whites have no flavor I figured that the only thing going on would be the honey. It was such a beautiful frosting. Very glossy and had a nice smooth texture.



Verdict: I will have to experiment with the peanut butter cupcakes a little more but I think I may have found a winner with the frosting especially with the honey drizzle on top. Perhaps I will add peanut butter chips inside the cupcake as well. They were pretty yummy on top of the frosting though.

No comments:

Post a Comment