Monday, March 2, 2009

Greek Celebration Bread



I have to play a little catchup here! Ok, let's rewind to Christmas. I wanted to make something really special for Christmas dinner and also wanted it to have some kind of meaning. I decided to make a Greek Christmas celebration loaf. This bread is traditionally baked using the most expensive ingredients and served on Christmas Eve when the head of the household blesses the loaf and each person at the table gets a slice, drizzled with honey. Each region of Greece has its own variation, although it is customarily decorated with a cross wherever it is made. It has all of my favorite spices, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. Oh the essence of Christmas time.

The bread was rich and delicious with a nice moist crumb. My family gave it great reviews. I believe I will be adopting this Greek tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment