Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake on a Skillet?

Last summer I took on a job teaching a summer camp where I, along with 2 other Culinary Coaches, taught kids how to cook. The company is called Kitchen Kid. It is pretty much the funnest job I have ever had. During the school year the owner also runs after school programs at several schools around the LA area. Since I was student teaching I didn't have a chance to teach but she has given me the opportunity to write the curriculum for the classes. My lessons plans revolve around a "secret ingredient" usually some kind of produce that is in season. I have written lessons on apples, squash, cucumbers, peppers, etc. This week she asked me to write a lesson plan on strawberries. For each lesson plan I have to come up with a recipe that the kids can make in the classroom. Each coach has a portable stove top but no oven. Being a baker this has forced me to try to stretch my imagination. Each recipe has to be either nonbake or able to be made using a skillet.
The first recipe that came to mind for strawberries was of course strawberry shortcake. Is it possible to make it using only a skillet? Believe it or not, YES! It is possible and I have done it! Not only did it work it was also delicious! The outside of the biscuit was nice and crisp while the inside was light and fluffy. A wonderful contrast with the strawberries and vanilla bean whipped cream.



I used the scone recipe from Joy of Baking but instead of putting them in the oven I heated a skillet on medium to medium low heat. I cooked each side of scones for about 2 1/2 minutes then had to flip a couple more times to make sure they weren't burning but were also cooked all the way through. Each one took about 6-7 minutes or so. I tried the first one by melting butter in the pan, not a good idea. Just use a dry pan. You could dip the scones in cinnamon sugar before putting them in the pan to give them a sweeter crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment