Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Challah!

Growing up my brothers and sisters and I were always very well educated in the traditions of the Jewish religion. Many of you may think that is strange since we are not Jewish and never have been but it is because of my mom and her love for the Jewish religion that I have learned to love their traditions and culture. If anyone walked into our house at Christmas time you might be slightly confused. Among the Christmas tree, stockings and nativity you would find a beautiful silver menora and dreidels. I love it!

So yes... I have played with dreidels. :)




Anyway, my mom also has a Jewish cookbook that she uses occasionally. One of my favorite recipes she makes is her challah bread. I think I was missing her yesterday because I had a sudden craving for it. I bust out my Peter Reinhardt's Baker's Apprentice book and made his version of the rich egg bread.

I don't have the recipe available to me right now but if you would like it email me and I would love to send it to you.



If you want to read the history or tradition of Challah bread go here.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious, and the braiding turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete